We’d love to tell you there is a magic solution that will have your pool swim-ready in a day or two, but what you will truly need is some elbow grease and a bit of patience. Realistically, expect to have a clean and clear pool in about a week’s time.
Once you’ve set a date to have your pool ready for swimming, plan your opening accordingly. Purchase your chemicals, test strips and any tools that may need to be replaced. You’ll need a working skimmer net and/or a deep pocketed leaf rake, a pole and vacuum, so make sure your equipment is still in good condition from last year.
Now that you have everything you need, you’re ready to get started. Follow the steps below to have your pool crystal clear and ready for swimmers in one week’s time.
- Clean, remove and store your pool cover in a dry, elevated space.
- Add water to your pool from the hose to top off the water level. The water should at least half way up the skimmer.
- Begin cleaning by scooping leaves and debris from the
bottom, and brushing and vacuuming the sides of the pool to remove the grime and dirt that built up over the winter.
- Make sure your pump and filter are running properly and clean your filter for the start of the season. Backwash or clean your filter to restore flow. This needs to be done more often during your spring clean up.
- Test your pool water, after it has been running for 24 hours, with a test kit and adjust your chemicals accordingly. Bring a sample to our store after your water has circulated for at least 24 hours.
- Add chlorine or shock to your pool to finish the cleaning process. Your chlorine level should ideally fall in the range of 1 ppm to 3 ppm.
- Continue to test your pool water, vacuuming, skimming and cleaning /backwashing your filter your pool until it is
balanced, clear and ready for swimmers.
For more opening tips, follow our Pool Opening Guide and your pool will be ready in no time!
2 thoughts on “Quick-Clean Your Pool After Opening”
These were really helpful when we did our pool maintenance last weekend. Cheers mate!
Pearl, we are so happy you found the tools on this blog helpful. Thanks for reading our blog! Cheers!